Monday, November 29, 2004

You Don't Deserve It

After a lapse of a week or six during which I lost track of more than my SiteMeter, Missed Boats picks up where it left off, i.e., with the subject of screwing up in the quest to acquire desirable objects. What I've been finding is that a little discretionary income coupled with some free-floating anxiety can mean a whole lot of thwarted bedazzlements on eBay, where the stages of infatuation and loss are so wildly compressed that an operatic affair can be reduced to a day or two of fleeting enervation.
How is it possible that there are, for me, so many disparate, far-flung and yet captivating objects, and each a way to misjudge? How the thing looks, if it is real, if it will be a gratifying thing to own and if so, why I am deliberately holding back from placing the bid that will make the object mine? Is it because I'm cheap? Well, that's part of it. But this is where the operatic aspects of infatuation kick in; the "lost" object must be found--at any cost--even far beyond its original selling price. Since most often what I'm falling for are books, I end up following the perfume of their abandonment into online rare book sites, desperate for the cadence of fast ownership.
But if originally I didn't buy the thing--the book--because I didn't think I deserved it, why then the flood of compensatory over-spending? The usual markers for behavior disappear, and it's as likely I'll break my neck in shallow waters as drown in deep ones. Because, really, who knows when and where to jump?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about make money selling web site on ebayand wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about **keyword** make money selling web site on ebay so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

October 21, 2005 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger alex said...

Through the repeated recurrence of this process the intensity of an entire http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=elliott+damon train of ideas may ultimately be gathered in a single presentation element.. But you can't! http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=microfaser+jersey+bettwa+sche+hellenstein screamed Buller...

August 31, 2007 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger alex said...

Yet there are very few individuals, let them be doing ever so well in the world, who are not http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=cat+slim+fit always straining every nerve to do better; and this is one of the many causes why failures in business so frequently occur among us.. They had size and sparkle and luster, all the diamond brilliance that http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=lady+in rings need to have; and for none of them had he paid much over five dollars...

September 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home